Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Library Gothic


I've been spending a fair amount of time in the small town of Lake Mills, WI with my favorite sister who is recuperating from a broken hip. Lake Mills has an imposing public library. The L.D. Fargo Public Library is a Neogothic Revival structure, built in 1902. It's named after the gentleman who donated the funds to build it - Lorenzo Dow Fargo. A fire in 1980 nearly destroyed the building. The community demonstrated its commitment to the library by re-constructing it to its former glory. I was by myself when I took this shot and no passer-by was available and I had no means of setting up an automatic shot so I am not in this picture. Car Car is there in my place. Car Car is a valued member of our household (low maintenance) and is taking on animate object status as the years go by. With 206,000 miles on the odometer, "she" got us out East and back this summer with no problems.

2 comments:

Lake Mills Library said...

Your welcome to come inside and take additional photos.

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I love your blog. However you said your favorite sister broke her hip and was in Lake Mills doing rehab. I don't recall being in rehab in Lake Mills....

Liz